Tuesday, September 18, 2012

What's Cooking: Roasted Chicken

A while back I discovered the Pioneer Woman. I had seen a few recipes pinned on Pinterest. I also saw a bit about her on Facebook. She also has a show on the Food Network, but I've never seen it because we don't have cable. Anyway, whenever I see that she has a new recipe post I almost immediately salivate. I finally tried one of her recipes. It's a simple recipe for roasted chicken.



Modifications/Substitutions: I used only 1/2 cup of butter instead of 3/4. Also, instead of lining a baking sheet with foil I plopped my chicken in my largest casserole dish.

Ease: The hardest part was waiting for it to be done. This recipe only has a handful of ingredients and basically you slather the bird with butter, lemon, and rosemary; stuff the bird with lemon and rosemary; and roast it - 4.5 stars. It's so easy a four-year-old can do it (or at least she can help):



Affordability: The chicken was only $0.99/lb. Jonathan got a larger chicken than I wanted (7 pounds), but in the end I'm glad. I was able to use leftovers to make a good amount of chicken salad PLUS I made enough chicken soup for dinner this week with two more "dinners" waiting in the freezer for later. This meal is very affordable to make - 5 stars.

Taste: I think the only kind of chicken I am able to not overcook is roasted chicken. This was very moist and easy to chew :). I didn't get as much lemon and rosemary flavor as I expected, but it was still tasty. In fact, when I made chicken soup, I skipped out on using Bell's seasoning like I normally would and it was awesome soup! I'll go with 4 stars here.

Family-Friendly - The girls ate their chicken. Abigail ate ALL of her chicken. Sarah wasn't as enthusiastic about it, but she had some - 4.5 stars.

What's Cooking Rating: 4.5 stars

No comments: