Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Midwest Vacation: Days 1 and 2

It is our vacation week. Uncle James (Kapaldo) is graduating on Saturday from the Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago. We thought we'd make a week out of it and head out west.

We hit the road on Saturday morning and headed for western Pennsylvania. We were in the van for a good solid 10 hours. I have to say though, the girls did really well! Because we'd be in the van for so long we decided to put the girls in the back seat, stow away one of the middle seats to make extra space, and use the other middle seat for me. The van didn't get crazy messy and I was able to meet the needs of the girls more easily.

I like to keep track of our progress and know what to expect as far as how long we have to go. So, I had Jonathan blow up a map of each days' route and print it out so we could track our progress (and so maybe the girls would have an idea of what was going on).

Maps courtesy of Google.

Our second day of driving was, let's say, miserable. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating. But I was ready to drive and let Jonathan take my spot. We were in the car this time for just over six hours. I guess the girls were just ready to not be in the van anymore.

The nice thing about our second day was that we were able to have a nice visit with Uncle Nate and his girlfriend Amanda. We had a nice breakfast and got a tour of Nathaniel's school, Slippery Rock University. The girls really liked being able to run around and get some fresh air.


My Grandparents let us use a week of their timeshare (thank you Grandma and Grandpa!). So we have a nice place to stay for the week. The girls have their own room, Abigail has her own king size bed. We are also able to make simple meals and go swimming in their indoor pool. You'll notice in the picture below that soon after we arrived Abigail already had her "babysuit" on (she can't say bathing yet).


No comments: