Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What's Cooking: White Bean Soup

Ok, I was getting tired of telling you about recipes that didn't end up in the girls' stomachs. So, I thought I'd share a recipe that is tried-and-true in the Kapaldo household.

My cousin introduced this soup to me and my Mom a LONG time ago. Over the years I started making the recipe from memory and omitted things to make it more toddler-friendly (so it might not look a whole lot like the original recipe). In fact, she informed me that it was a Barefoot Contessa (Ina Garten) recipe, which I found here. Mine is the much less sophisticated version-but the girls eat it!

Modifications/Substitutions: This recipe calls for dried beans where I use canned. Also, rosemary plays a big role in the recipe, but I've omitted it because I figured the girls would be more likely to eat it. I may reintroduce rosemary when they are older because it really adds to the flavor.

Ease: The way I make it is very easy - 5 stars. I'll get into the details here:

Ingredients

2-15.5 ounce cans of cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
1-14.5 ounce can of reduced fat and reduced sodium chicken broth
1 small onion, chopped

Directions

1. Saute chopped onion in olive oil until translucent.

2. Add beans and broth. Bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes. You can add the rosemary here and remove it before the next step.

3. Puree with hand blender until smooth (I don't leave any chunks because the girls tend to like a smooth consistency).

4. Serve hot (though not for the girls) topped with kosher salt to taste.

Affordability: This recipe is very affordable, especially since I use canned ingredients. This meal cost me less than $5.00 to make - 5 stars.

Taste: I need to be honest here. When Jonathan comes home to see me making this soup he doesn't dance a jig - he isn't too excited about it. But he eats it! I happen to like it, with or without rosemary. To be fair though I'll only give it 3.5 stars.

Family Friendly: Soup + Toddlers = Big Mess. But it is worth it because my girls eat it and ask for more. This is as family-friendly as it gets for us - 5 stars.

What's Cooking Rating: 4.5 stars (rounded to the nearest 0.25)

No comments: