Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What's Cooking: Mini-Meatloaves

Another recipe with ground beef! This is actually a recipe I made quite a bit when Jonathan and I were first married, but I haven't tried it since Abigail started eating "real" food. I thought I'd give it a try with the girls.

This recipe comes from the Kraft Foods website and is called Marvelous Mini Meatloaves. The thing I like about it is that it allows for a number of variations (though they aren't on the website, only on my print version of the recipe). Here are just two variations you could use:

Italian - 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 3/4 cup spaghetti sauce, and 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese
BBQ - 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 3/4 cup barbecue sauce, 3/4 cup cheddar cheese (we use this one)

I should also mention that it doesn't say how much water to use on the website; it's 1 cup.

So, without further delay, I present to you mini-meatloaves:



Modifications/Substitutions: I always forget to add garlic powder when I do the BBQ variation. Other than that, I follow the recipe exactly.

Ease: SO easy. Also, using the muffin pan cuts cook time in half. I'll give it 4.5 stars (after all, it isn't a slow cooker recipe ;-)

Affordability: I bought the beef on sale (as always). The other ingredients are regular staples and are very inexpensive. I'll go with another 4.5 stars.

Taste: This isn't my Mom's meatloaf (which I LOVE), but it satisfies. The meatloaves stay moist and I love how you can customize them to whatever you're craving when you make them. I'll go with 3.5 stars.

Family-Friendly: Sarah did not eat hers, but she tried it. As soon as Abigail saw me place the pan of meatloaves on the table she started crying. She has NEVER done this. A family dinner has never brought her to tears. She immediately started asking for nuggets and fries. A few minutes and a squirt of ketchup later and she ate all of her meatloaf! I think next time I'll substitute ketchup for the barbecue sauce. I'll also omit the cheese because she didn't go for that. Because Abigail did so well (and because Sarah doesn't totally count yet) I'll give it 4 stars.

What's Cooking Rating: 4 stars (rounded to the nearest 0.25)

No comments: