Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lent Calendar

As a stay-at-home-mom I often lose track of what day it is, or when holidays come up. Case-in-point, I didn't realize lent started yesterday until I saw twitter comments about "Fat Tuesday" on Tuesday. I wracked my brain (and the internet) to see if I could come up with any Lent/Easter activities to help the girls understand Easter more and also count the days in anticipation of the holiday.

So, I decided on an "Easter Calendar" where we would mark each of the 40 days of lent with a decorated egg. Each egg represents a different Easter-related activity. I spent my free time Tuesday night constructing the calendar for the girls to see in the morning.

Some of the activities are simple, like watching an Easter movie or reading the Easter story in their Bible story book. Others are crafty (I'll share more on those when we get to them). When we get to 12 days before we'll have a special egg hunt each day to find one a dozen Resurrection Eggs.

I know the girls won't remember a lot of what we do (or even understand all of it), but it should give us something different to do for Lent. Plus, if things go well we may try it again next year.

No comments: