Sunday, August 1, 2010

Summer School

I have a confession to make. Up until this a few weeks ago I wasn't making the most of Sarah's morning nap. Abigail would often play on her own or watch PBS Kids and I would hang out or try and get some cleaning done. Well, I thought it would be good to stop being so lazy and add a little structure to our time.

Two weeks ago we started summer "school". We spent 30-45 minutes almost every day doing Bible time, our ABC's and 123's. We spent each day talking about a day of creation, followed by coloring a picture representing each day. Then we went over ABC's and counted to 20. I tried getting Abigail to play and count beads, but that didn't work. She just wanted to play with them.

Probably my favorite time of "school" was when we would sing He's Got the Whole World in His Hands and do a few simple hand motions. Check her out after a week of practice:



Last week we spent a few days talking about Adam and Eve. I wasn't sure what to do for an activity because you can only color so many pictures of the story (versus one page for each day of creation). So, we ended up reenacting the story of Adam and Even in the garden, where Eve was tempted by the serpent to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Abigail was cute playing with our set up. She kept saying "No mouth" regarding the tree. We had fun with it.

Hopefully we can keep this up. I am not always the best at continuing good habits. This might also give me a taste of what homeschooling would be like (just an itty bitty taste).

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Oh my, what cuties you have! A's video was too fun :)

Thanks for introducing yourself earlier - a new follower here for you, too :)