Friday, August 20, 2010

Camping on the Cape - Day 2

Our first night in the tent went pretty smoothly. Do you know which of the girls ended up waking up the most? It was me! I was up quite a few times. Abigail woke up in the middle of the night and tossed around a bit, and Sarah only woke up once after settling in for the night, but that was it.

Abigail woke up just shy of 6:00. We went for a walk and then killed more quiet time in the tent before having breakfast (quiet hours were from 10:00 PM to 8:00 AM).

We spent the morning driving around for a little bit to see what was around Brewster and surrounding towns. We then went to the Cape Cod Museum of Natural History. The highlight for Abigail was the small aquarium they have downstairs. Abigail could have spent hours walking around and around. She had to point everything out. The funny thing about Abigail is that when we tell her we're going somewhere, she doesn't want to go. Once we get there, she doesn't want to leave. This time was no exception. She did not want to leave the museum. Money well spent (especially since the kids were free)!

We grabbed a bite to eat and then headed back to camp to settle down and clean up a bit. We wanted to kill time because parking at the local beaches is free after 3:00 PM. This time we checked out another local beach, Paine's Creek Beach. I liked this beach because there was a nice shallow pool of water, followed by lots of sand and then the main body of water. The shallow pool was perfect for Abigail to roam around freely. Though, we did have a time keeping her from wandering off and wanting to "try" other kid's beach toys.

The girls fell asleep almost instantly when we headed back for camp. Now, the last time Abigail fell asleep around 5:00 was disastrous. I let her sleep and she was in quite a mood. Well, I figured, "Hey this is our vacation, I'll let her sleep". We just had a later bedtime instead-and it worked out.

The camping meal for tonight was beef stew. I prepped it right at camp. We probably cooked it too long and on too much direct heat, because the beef was really well done.
Getting the girls to bed took a lot more effort the second night. Jonathan helped Sarah fall asleep while I kept Abigail company until she was snoozing. Jonathan and I then had some relaxing time by the fire and then called it a night. It was so nice to be able to sit in the cool, crisp outdoors by the crackling fire. Oh, and did I mention we could look up and see the stars? It was great!

No comments: