Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Little Parenting Advice

Sometimes I think I might over share a bit when it comes to my experiences as a mom. This isn't necessarily on the blog, but more often in person. I mean, I do have a decent amount of experience when it comes to (1) being pregnant (2) giving birth (3) nursing (4) and so on. I think we as Moms like to share our experiences with other moms or moms-to-be, it just might not be requested or appreciated.

So, I thought I'd share a bit of advice/experience on my blog because you can choose to read it or choose to ignore it. I am offering this advice because I want you all to learn from our mistakes. It's about...

Sleep Training



With Abigail and Sarah we "trained" them to fall asleep on their own around 6 months (maybe a wee bit later). Of course things weren't perfect. We had times where we would have to help them by either rocking them to sleep or patting them on the back. Some nights they would sleep straight through the night, some nights they would wake up often.



I do know though, that sleep training would have benefited Lily greatly! You see, we kept putting it off and then didn't stick to our guns. For as long as I can remember now, we've been either rocking her to sleep or I have nursed her to sleep. This goes for the evening sleep as well as naptime. It is exhausting.

I noticed with Abigail and Sarah that once we "trained" they slept better overall. Even if they were to wake at night they could fall back to sleep on their own or we'd help comfort them, but seldom by nursing (at least at the point where Lily is now-11 months).

I'm not an advocate of any particular sleep training regimen. My advice to you is to (1) have a bedtime routine (2) sleep train between 4-6 months and (3) stick with the plan. If you get into the habit of putting your baby to sleep you can find it is a hard habit to break.

Has anyone had any experience with "sleep training" and older babies? I'd love advice. I think what Jonathan and I really need to do is agree on our strategy and stick to it. It won't be easy and the older girls' sleep might be interrupted, but in the long run it will be worth it.

No comments: