Tuesday, July 26, 2011

What's Cooking: The Hall of Shame

I've tried a number of new recipes that I fully intended to document, but they were pretty big failures for one reason or another, so I didn't want to bother. But I'm all about being honest and up front. So, without further ado, here is the What's Cooking Hall of Shame Volume I.

Crazy Curly Broccoli Bake (Kid-Friendly)

Not all the recipes I find on AllRecipes.com are a success. A recipe I found for Crazy Curly Broccoli was not a success (in my opinion). As I was making this recipe I got really excited. This was going to be a easy and healthy recipe that smelled just like Panera's broccoli cheddar soup (my favorite). I couldn't wait to eat it. Then I did. It seriously lacked flavor. Though, I have to admit that the girls picked through the broccoli to eat the pasta, so no one left the table hungry.

Chicken Puffs

Yet another AllRecipes.com pick. This one was a failure though because I decided to get all fancy and make a few changes to it. This recipe for Chicken Puffs got rave reviews. I thought I'd be all "healthy" and add a few vegetables to make it more like an individual pot pie. Then I stuffed the croissants more than the recipe called for. Finally, they were nice and brown, but still doughy in the middle. The girls were not impressed, and neither was I (but I do not blame the recipe, I blame my changes).

Creamed Asparagus Soup

You probably just read this title and thought, "what was she thinking?" I was thinking I would be able to make a healthy vegetable soup that the girls would actually eat. I was wrong. I found this recipe while paging through a food magazine. The recipe is available here. I thought it looked good, and it was! The girls didn't agree. Sarah used her soup as organic finger paints shortly after her first taste. I had to do a lot of encouraging and commanding to get Abigail to take a taste. They each took one bite and then that was that. Oh well.

I hope you enjoyed our first installment of the What's Cooking Hall of Shame. I'm hoping it takes a while before I have three more recipes that fit this category.

No comments: