Tuesday, July 5, 2011

July 4th Weekend

We had a pretty busy weekend celebrating the Fourth.

On Saturday we went to the beach - which was a blast. On Sunday we had what I call Red, White, and Blue Scones (I added blueberries as well as strawberries). Check out this recipe from FamilyFun. They were really good!

We then went to church and then headed to Nonna and Papa's for a cookout. We enjoyed all sorts of grilled meat thanks to Uncle Nick. After lunch we decided to set up the sprinkler for the girls. The sprinkler didn't work though, so Nonna had to do things the old fashioned way.

We then headed to North Andover to my Great-Aunt's house for dinner and fireworks. Unfortunately the town postponed the show due to rain. I'm still glad we went though, and the girls found ways to entertain themselves. Papa also provided some entertainment with his guitar.

Sunday night into Monday morning was rough. Sarah woke up around 1:00 AM pretty upset. Jonathan went in for the rescue and managed to get her back to sleep. A few minutes later, though, she woke up upset again. A little water, Tylenol, and 1 1/2 hours later she fell asleep right smack dab in the middle of our bed. Jonathan went to the couch and I stayed with Sarah.

The girls slept in a little, but not what we were hoping for. We had a pretty lazy Monday morning. Jonathan and I thought the girls would have fun going to the pool in our complex. That turned out to not be such a great idea. There was a lot of whining because the girls weren't getting what they wanted (which was mostly pool toys that belonged to OTHER kids). We quickly left the pool, had lunch, and then all four of us had a much-needed afternoon nap.

We nixed our Monday night plans to go out to see local fireworks. I was planning on waking Abigail up to see the Boston fireworks on TV. Instead, when I found out that the fireworks in DC were on PBS I let the girls stay up for the fireworks we would have seen if we were down in Virginia. It wasn't quite the same as actually being there, but we still had a lot of fun with it, and the girls went to bed pretty smoothly afterwards.

Abigail took this picture...

No comments: