Thursday, September 9, 2010

My Love/Hate Relationship with Sleep

I love sleep. Not to the point of excess, of course. I mean, I have not had the opportunity to indulge in excessive amounts of sleep in a good three years or so. I just love a good nights' sleep-cozy and under the covers.

What I hate about sleep is how long it has been taking lately to get the girls to sleep.

Abigail is a big girl now, so she is more than capable of falling asleep on her own. Abigail is a big girl now, so she has now become aware of lots of ways she can prolong the inevitable. We put her down with a sippy of milk. She'll down the milk and ask for water. Then she'll down the water and as for more milk. The past few nights she's mentioned she needs to go potty. Sometimes she'll ask for Mommy when Daddy comes in. She even tries to break out of her room (we have a baby gate up with the door open). If we're desperate, we cave and pat her back as she falls asleep. Otherwise she'll eventually go to sleep, but it is exhausting just getting her to that point.

We went through sleep training with Sarah a while back and it went surprisingly well. I longingly remember an evening a few months ago when I talked with Jonathan about how nice it was that the girls would chat and giggle and both fall asleep on their own. Sarah hasn't done this in quite a while, probably not since she started climbing the side of her crib. We end up helping her get to sleep 9 times out of 10.

What makes this even trickier is the fact that they share a room.

I love sleep. I hate how long it takes to get the girls to sleep. It isn't just how long it takes, but all the crying/screaming/whining that goes along with it.

Someday I'll be struggling with getting them up in the morning-in another 10 years or so!

No comments: