Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What's Cooking: Sweet Treats Edition

I haven't really tried a whole lot of new recipes lately. At least none that I wanted to get into on this blog. If you need a quick and easy chicken skillet dish you can try Salsa-Cheddar Chicken from Kraft foods. We tried this last night and Jonathan and I liked it (the girls had a tougher time with it though).

There have been a few sweet treat recipes I've found online and tried that we've really enjoyed. There isn't much of a point in doing a What's Cooking segment because, really, what kids don't like sweets? And the point of this type of post is to find family-friendly recipes. Still, I thought these three recipes were worth sharing because they are either (1) amazing (2) super simple or (3) both.

Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
I had oatmeal. I had chocolate chips. I didn't have an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe though. So, I went to my go-to site AllRecipes.com and found this one for amazing chewy cookies. I only made one modification to this recipe because it calls for walnuts (which Abigail is allergic to). So, instead of walnuts I ended up adding extra chocolate chips (nothing wrong with a little more chocolate, right?). These cookies are sooooo good! This will definitely be my chocolate chip cookie go-to recipe.

Homemade Ice Cream
This next recipe I found on a cooking blog I subscribe to, Jamie Cooks it Up. The thing that convinced me to try this recipe was that you didn't need an ice cream machine and there were only three main ingredients I needed. We ended up adding chocolate chips and chocolate sauce to ours. The hardest part was waiting the 6 hours for it to freeze, but it was worth the wait. I couldn't believe how smooth and creamy it was. We will definitely make this again, so yummy and so easy!

Smore Cookies
I saw these cookies, again on Jamie Cooks it Up, and just had to make them. They looked so amazing! I ended up making these yesterday with Abigail, which wasn't the best idea. The recipe is not the simplest and Abigail is very impatient. Her persistence and impatience led her to say over, and over, and over things like, "Mommy, I need a marshmallow" and "Mommy, I need chocolate" and "Mommy, can I have a cookie please?" So I had to keep telling her we were waiting until all the cookies were done until we had them.

One quick tip: I ended up cutting the recipe in half, because I didn't want 48 cookies. But instead of rolling the dough into 2-inch balls (which I thought was a little much) I used my small ice cream scoop. This resulted in 36 cookies instead of an expected 24.

Here's Abigail asking for chocolate:

Here's the final product:

It was a lot of work, but the end result was worth it. We were not disappointed.

So, there you have it, three sweet treats that I will make again for sure. I hope you get a chance to try them out for yourself!

2 comments:

aisha said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kyla said...

the smores cookies were very yummy! thanks for sending them over last night... I snuck one! yum!