Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What's Cooking: Spinach Pie

I thought I would be bold with our next recipe trial. Not bold when it comes to flavor, but bold when it comes to the main ingredient. It's green. It's healthy. It's spinach!

I honestly love spinach, whether in a salad or on pizza paired with feta cheese (yummy!). I've tried "sneaking" spinach before and failed. Once Abigail saw the green stuff in her ravioli a few weeks ago she grimaced at the thought of eating it. But, I thought I'd try again anyway.

My cousin (technically Jonathan's cousin) pointed me to kidshealth.org where they have a number of healthy recipes that address different dietary needs (recipes for those with diabetes, lactose intolerance, etc). It was here where I found a recipe for Scrumptious Spinach Pie.


Modifications/Substitutions: I used 2% milk instead of skim.

Ease: What could be easier than mixing ingredients and pouring them in a ready-made pie shell? Maybe mixing ingredients and pouring them in a slow cooker. Seriously though, this was a simple and easy recipe, so I will give it 5 stars.

Affordability: There is no meat in this recipe, so that keeps the cost down. I always have eggs, milk, and mozzarella cheese on hand. Plus, frozen spinach was on sale for $1.00. This is a very affordable meal - 5 stars.

Taste: It was a little on the salty side, but other than that, Jonathan and I really enjoyed it! I think if I were to make it again I would cut the salt amount in half. I'll give this 4 stars.

Family Friendly: I thought I'd give you all a few pictures to show you how the girls handled the meal...

Sarah tried it.

Then she let us know how she felt about it.

Abigail ate it! Though, it took a bit of convincing. I also promised her a piece of banana bread if she finished her pie, which she did. Though, every time she went to take another bite she would close her eyes real tight and then make another face once it was in her mouth. So, she ate it, but I don't think she really liked it.

Unfortunately this recipe will only get 3 stars. Maybe I'll try it again when they are both a little older.

What's Cooking Rating: 4.25 stars

No comments: