Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What's Cooking: Spaghetti with a Kick

I wasn't sure what to call this. It's actually angel hair pasta with a spicy tomato "sauce". This is a meal I remember eating when I was probably 10 or so. I asked my Mom how to make it and it turned out to be a pretty simple recipe. So, here you go, what I'll call "Spaghetti with a Kick".

Modifications/Substitutions: None.

Ease: This is a very simple and easy recipe. I'll give it 4.5 stars. Here's how it goes...

Ingredients:

3/4 pound angel hair pasta
1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes with green chilis
1 14.5 ounce can of plain diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon oil
water

Directions:

Heat a skillet on medium-high heat. Melt butter and add oil.

In the meantime, break pasta into 1.5 inch pieces and set aside.

Add pasta to the heated skillet. Brown pasta, stirring often to avoid burning.

Once pasta is browned, add cans of diced tomatoes. You may also need to add a little water as the pasta cooks (I added about 1/4 cup).

Cook until pasta is al dente. Serve.

Affordability: This meal is SO inexpensive to make. Can we say less than $3.00 for the pasta and tomatoes? Five stars here.

Taste: Even with adding plain tomatoes the meal was a bit spicier than I remembered. Though, we still enjoyed it. It is a simple and easy recipe-a quick fix when you aren't sure what else to make. Though, judging by the fact that Jonathan had leftover meatloaf for dinner the next night instead of this meal's leftovers I'll only give it 3.5 stars (though I would award more like 4).

Family-Friendly: Abigail tried it and seemed ready to eat it all up, but then she opted for black beans instead. I think it was a bit on the spicy side for her. Sarah didn't touch it, but she wasn't feeling well (she actually got sick after filling up on other things). Alas, this recipe will only get 2 stars for family-friendliness. Maybe when the girls are closer to 10 years old they'll go for it. Doesn't hurt to try
I guess.

What's Cooking Rating: 3.75 stars

No comments: